Donna Karan’s spring/summer 2015 fashion show was one for the books, exploding with scribbles, strokes, splashes and sequins. The theme of this year’s show was The Art Of The Street, spontaneous, spirited and encouraged you to show your individual colors and paint the town chic. Donna quoted “the bra, is the new bodysuit– sexy, structured, day to night.” — and she’s never wrong!
I swooned so hard sitting at the show, having the chance to be apart of the extraordinary team and knowing I had a place in this show coming to life was a moment, in my life, where I was literally hyperventilating because that was a dream come true. Getting to see & meet idols of mine in person, talking to celebrities, coordinating and placing all the name cards (Anna Wintour and the Vogue teams) and helping supermodels like Karlie Kloss, I had to pinch myself. I don’t know what the future holds… but I know it’s going to be impressive!
“New York is my palette, my passion, my fuel — A culture that empowers creativity. Explore your imagination — and share it with the world.” Donna Karan
All photos and complete show via Style.com
1. My three phenomenal bosses from Donna Karan and I at Super Saturday 2014 in the Hampton’s
2. Night time look with a mirror selfie…
3. My best friend Jessica and I enjoying a New York City 4th of July
4. Rain calls for a leopard umbrella people and a photo session!
5. Bergdorf Goodman’s 5th Ave windows filled by the “Karlie” dress from Donna Karan’s 30th anniversary show
6. With great friends at The Bathtub Gin (Amazing NYC speakeasy)
7. Jessica and I at one of my favorite gourmet Italian experiences Eataly NYC
8. Wild summer nights
9. Letting the sunshine and sunflowers fill the room at my favorite NYC persian restaurant, Pars Grill House and Bar… so yummy!
10. My summer outfit staple was wrap skirts… I lived in them, perfect for day to night, so chic and comfortable, who could blame me?
Follow me on Instagram @SarahSummerlin for my daily adventures
The biggest trend was the color red, everyone from Claire Danes to Heidi Klum were rocking this fierce color. With the sea of red dresses that overcrowded the red carpet it was nice to see stars like Julie Bowen and Kerry Washington taking chances. Lizzy Caplan in Donna Karan Atelier was best dressed of the night for me. She hands down epitomized a Hollywood star with this ultra chic statement dress.
All photos via TheCut via NYMag.com
One of the best New York experiences is to spend a day at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. I made a beeline towards The Anna Wintour Costume Center to see the Charles James: Beyond Fashion exhibit. I took as many pictures (on my iPhone) as I could before the big, scary security guard brought that to a stop.
This exhibit will allow your mind to escape to another realm of dressing. Where the women believed in dressing like a lady and where feeling beautiful meant wearing James’s designs. His use of craftsmanship, innovative tailoring and sculptural construction are only a few qualities that make him the genius we still love today.
“All my seams have meaning – they emphasize something about the body.”